Wednesday, December 26, 2012

PRK, second month, aka i can see clearly now the rain is gone

so its been nearly two months since i went through with PRK surgery on both my eyes.

long gone are the days of constantly putting medicated drops in my eyes. i do occasionally still use rewetting drops as my eyes do get dry. do they get dryer than before my surgery? perhaps, but nothing too noticeable.

pain? after the pain i was experiencing after the first week after the surgery, there is no real pain to speak of. i DID have some sensitivity to sunlight and other bright lights for a couple weeks, but that subsided real fast. i DO wear sunglasses whenever i can when outdoors to protect my newly healing eyes though.

i was, however, very concerned about a vacation i was going on. i spent the first weeks of december in jamaica. it would be the first time i would be outside the the normal safety of home and my office. i would have to be in situations i couldnt plan everything out.

its a bit sunny here in jamaica

what happened? snorkeling, walking up inside a giant waterfall, fishing, swimming... sunny weather... no problem mon.

my vision?  during my one month follow up visit, i tested out at 20/20 and 25/20 vision. my vision does fluctuate still, some days better than others, but it seems to stabilize more and more with each passing day. i also notice a DIRECT correlation between how tired i am, (how much i drink) with how bad my vision is the following day and how much better my vision is with how healthy i am eating and the level of exercise i have done that week. basically, my vision is as good as i feel.

the only things i can really report back about two months after the surgery is that i take 1000mg of vitamin c  (helps the healing process) daily, i have to use rewetting drops and i wear my sunglasses a lot more. thats it.

oh and also that i see perfectly fine without contacts or glasses.....

yes, this has been one of the best decisions i have ever made.

i have one last visit with the doctor at six months. this will be my final check up. they will do a vision test then. seeing that i already have almost 20/20 vision, i am not too concerned about this at all.

3 comments:

  1. awesome, thanks for the update! My cousin went in for a 2nd consult today and will be having PRK next week. I will be taking notes from her too and hopefully I can get the procedure done myself sometime soon.

    -Chris

    ReplyDelete
  2. just wanted to let you know my cousin had PRK done last friday and she has been cleared for driving and said she see's pretty good and she was told her vision will continue to get better for the next few months. She got her contact taken out on Tuesday (4 days after surgery) and as of wednesdau she still had terrible vison, but something happened between thursday and today becasue she said it was a complete turn around. She also said she had ZERO pain, but was extremely light sensative. After your story and hers, I am 100% going to get this done myself. I will have it done on a friday and take the whole next week off so realisticly I will be off work for 10 days, that should give me plenty of time to recover. thanks again for sharing your experience and helping me make my decision!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ZERO PAIN?!?! cant lie, im jealous, but i guess the first days and subsequent month of recover is a bit different for everyone. its been a few months for me now and i often forget i got the procedure done, until i realize i havent bought any contact fluids in months, let alone the hassle of daily contacts routine.

    most of the time people write blogs to fill in their boredom. im very happy to see that some little bit of information i put out there is actually helpful to someone.

    good luck with your procedure, and if you do remember, please let me know how it went!

    btw my vision is 20/20 in both eyes now. no side effects, no extra dryness, nothing.

    ReplyDelete